Ace of Pentacles ~ Receiving

Bright Idea Deck ~ Ace of Pentacles

My Wednesday afternoon book club is reading The Power of Receiving by Amanda Owen, a very insightful woman.

There are only 3 women in our book club, which we lovingly call “Wise Women Wednesdays.” Okay, maybe the name is a bit lofty, but those two are ~ truly ~ wise women. It’s the highlight of my week because of the wonderful conversation and, well, because I’ve really grown to love those two. They keep me sane in my little tiny town.

There’s lots of story-telling and we (almost) always have a thought-provoking book to discuss. I belonged to another book club in town briefly, but the books weren’t always appealing to me so I’d wind up not reading them and then didn’t want to go to the meetings because I didn’t want to look like a dimwit. When I explained this to the woman who started that book club about 30 years ago, she said, “Honey, reading the book is the absolute LAST reason to come to book club!” (Isn’t that a fab Gemini thingy?)

We’re loving The Power of Receiving and the deep conversations it has elicited. We’re also discovering quite a bit of interesting things about ourselves ~ not that we didn’t know these things, but we’re viewing them from a different perspective. The question of all questions ~ Why? ~ is becoming clearer. (And that’s another fab Gemini thing.)

One of the standout lines I remember from Amanda’s book is “Receive everything—decide later.”

I’m working with The Bright Idea Deck by Mark McElroy for the month of June. It’s a new deck for me, and it’s quite innovative, which makes each card really fresh. So, last Saturday when the Ace of Pentacles turned up, Amanda’s wise words came to mind. Here was the perfect card for one of my favorite lines in the book. How many gifts are presented to us that we think we can’t or we don’t/won’t accept? I love that this card shows a woman opening a present, with all the earth symbols grounded at her feet, to manifest the gifts.

So here we are in Gemini and these two unconnected dots of information pop up.

• Dot No. 1 ~ that memorable line from Amanda’s book that stays in my mind.
  • Dot No. 2 ~ The Ace of Pentacles—Receiving from a deck I haven’t worked with before.
  • Gemini is the line that connects the two.

That’s what Gemini does ~ connects the dots from its random learning and turns them into knowing, changes random stars into constellations, creating something new and meaningful that can be put to good use in the future. Now, whenever I pull this particular card from The Bright Idea Deck, an entire book will flood into my memory as I ponder what I might be receiving or blocking.

Plus! I now have a “show and tell” for book club.

To learn more about Amanda Owen, check out www.thepowerofreceiving.com. You can visit Mark McElroy at www.madebymark.com

19 thoughts on “Ace of Pentacles ~ Receiving

1. Penny says:

Loved this anecdote and how it all tied together with Gemini and Ace of Pentacles..I have a friend who is such a Gemini archetype..and she is always off learning and then giving me wonderful bits of info – in her own fantastically funny way! Never a dull moment with her..she is like the box you open indeed..and then fall about laughing at the contents! I love quirky..and it seems so does someone else..but that’s for another day..*wink*.

Thanks for sharing the warmth of your book club friendships..Power of Three!

2. Alice Brown says:

I am in absolute love with this post of yours, and in complete agreement with you on the Ace of Pentacles. Thanks for sharing such an awesome article with us here…..!!!!

3. Donna Cunningham says:

Great anecdote on the book club–the one you’re in now sounds better. I love Amanda’s book and her work. I think I’ve gotten better about receiving over the years–I just wish my friends had better taste! Donna

4. Donna Cunningham says:

Okay, NOW I’m not joking around!!! This morning I finally achieved the readiness to change this problem of receiving things I don’t want or need. Amanda, if you’re reading this, HELP!!!! (Venus-Uranus-Saturn conjunction in the 11th.)

People INSIST on giving me stuff I don’t want, even if I try to be tactful and deter them. And it often seems like a situation where regifting (which I have noooo problem with, except it does feel a bit sleazy) is not an option. In those situations, the person is around, would look for their item and notice it was gone and be hurt/insulted. And so I’m expected to be all grateful (I’m not) and actually use it. I really hate clutter in the first place and now live in a studio in a senior building where there just isn’t room for stuff to pile up that I don’t want or need. Very little shelf room for books–I got rid of hundreds of them. I’m at a stage of life where I find material goods a burden.

So this morning I was working in our community room library, my volunteer work here, and this charming old fellow, late 80s, I am fond of said he knew I was a book collector (I’m not) and he was going to give me a book for my collection (I don’t have one). He went upstairs and brought back a fairy tale book, a nice one beautifully illustrated and probably worth a bit. I tried to deter him tactfully, saying it was too valuable and if we put it in the library it would probably get stolen (it would).

He said, no, no, it was just for me. Proud that he could give me something of value. Gahhh!!!! I couldn’t refuse without hurting his feelings, and what if he ever wants it back.

Anyway, no doubt he would never know if I got rid of it. But what I’d like to know is how to change the metaphysical dynamic, thought form, whatever. Any advice would be appreciated. Donna Cunningham

• Penny says:

Hello Donna..may I make a suggestion? Receive the gift (which you have graciously) and maybe in a while approach your lovely man and ask if he would mind if you passed the book on to a child you know would treasure it..or something along those lines. If you don’t know of a suitable child, I am sure one will come along..please feel free to expand on that idea in any which way..it has worked for me in the past “Oh this is wonderful..but I know someone who would absolutely LOVE it and in their situation blah blah…would you mind me passing this on with your good wishes?”

I wish my waistband didn’t expand as much as my ideas..good luck!

• cj wright says:

I’ve been thinking about your question since last night, Donna. Here are a couple of suggestions on what to do with that gift, and the first one is a bit “magical.” I’m getting ready to tackle a two-day intensive house cleaning, so I pulled out my copy of “Magical Housekeeping” by Tess Whitehurst to remind me of some things. I opened the book at random and my eyes landed on “Gifts” in the chapter on clutter clearing ~ very auspicious since I’ll be clearing clutter from one room in particular. Here’s what she has to say, “If you don’t love something, even if it was a gift, get rid of it! Your house is a very magical and sacred place. Don’t bring the energy of guilt into it by holding on to unloved gifts. Respect the gift and the giver by releasing any unloved gifts to someone who will appreciate them.” We know this already, so the “magic” came by opening the book and finding confirmation for what we already knew. So I had to pass that message on to you. Maybe there’s a message in that book of fairy tales for you. Why not open it at random and see what pops up?

You also said it might have some worth, so this may also be a hidden financial gift, too, even a small one if you decide to sell it. I have a question for you. Would we look to Venus and 2nd house by transit or progression to get some info on that?

I’ve sort of changed my opinion of regifting. Maybe we’re the conduit for getting a particular item in the right hands.

To stop the flow…that’s a fantastic question I’d love to know the answer to, too. I second your plea: Amanda, help!!

5. Penny says:

I have ordered the book! Now could someone ‘gift’ me the time to read it please???

6. Amanda says:

I love this discussion! Thank you CJ for talking about – and loving – my book 🙂 I want to speak about Donna’s dilemma. This is such an important topic. If I was going to title this comment, I would give it this one: When Does “No” Mean “No?”

This is really an issue about how and where we place our boundaries and what we do when people don’t honor them. This predicament has so many applications.

As I discuss in my book, receiving is not a passive state. It’s quite dynamic. Receiving our feelings, being willing to disappoint people, and being OK with feeling uncomfortable takes practice—especially for women. Many of us were raised to tend to other people’s feelings at the expense of our own. When we don’t have enough practice receiving – and in this case it is receiving and honoring our own feelings – it is hard to hold our ground.

Let’s raise the stakes:

If someone wanted to take you out to dinner for a date and you didn’t want to go, would you say “thanks but no” even if they insisted?

If someone wanted to have sex with you and you didn’t want to, would you say “no” even if that person badgered you?

How high do the stakes need to be to honor your feelings? How willing are you to risk the other person’s disappointment, anger, sadness, discomfort, etc.?

An 11th house Saturn boundary lesson. Practice script with the charming eighty-year-old:

“I know you are a collector of books.”
    “I’m not!”
    “But I want to give you a book of fairytales!”
    “Very sweet of you! But please give it to someone else. I have no room in my apartment for anything!”
    “I am going to go get it and give it to you.”
    “I can’t accept it. But thank you.”

Sweet man returns with book…
    “I thank you for thinking of me, but I can’t accept it. I am not a book collector and I have no room in my apartment”
    “Take it!”
    “No”
    “Take it!”
    “No!”
    “Take it, because it will make me happy!”
    “Thank you but no!”
    “But you are the person I want to give it to! Take it!
    “Thank you but no!”

How many go-arounds are you willing to go through?

There are plenty of people in the world who will not honor your boundaries. YOU must honor them. It is not someone else’s job. I speak about receiving and boundaries in my book. This is a common issue, again – especially for women.

I could write a whole book on this issue alone! I hope my comment is helpful.

• cj wright says:

Thank you so much for responding, Amanda. Your response was very helpful for me. And a HUGE thanks for saying that receiving isn’t a passive state. As women, we’re stereotypically trained to put other people first instead of honoring our boundaries. I’m going to keep reminding myself that I sometimes have to rally my courage to honor those boundaries instead of caving in to “end” the issue ~ which really doesn’t end it at all. It results in being dissatisfied. I suppose that saying “yes” to the little things we want to say “no” to sets us up to say yes to the bigger issues that we don’t want to be a part of our lives. Sort of like negative training.

• Amanda says:

I love your comment CJ. Yes, negative training. The amazing thing is that when we honor our boundaries and hold our ground, after awhile those we know tend to honor them as well. Funny how that works 🙂

7. Donna Cunningham says:

Thanks, everyone, for your input. Wow, what an amazing discussion. What looked at first like a minor peculiarity of mine, a mildly annoying problem is revealed to go very deep into our boundaries. Because, you’re right, it does make me feel encroached upon when people insist on giving me something I have explicitly said I don’t want. It’s clearly not that they want to do something for ME, it’s for them to feel better about themselves or like they are making me beholden to them….so I owe them one.

I’m pretty good about boundaries, except when I am trying to say it nice. Like graciously or tactful. Then people don’t get that it’s a NO, and they go on pushing, until I get out the sledgehammer. Yep, I get into trouble when I try to be tactful, as I was with this gentlemen yesterday. Donna

• Amanda says:

Years ago, I was so tactful when breaking up with a boyfriend that the following day I found out that he didn’t even know I had broken up with him! I was too exhausted to go through it all again and stayed with him for several more weeks until I could re-approach the subject. Lesson learned. The second time he got the message.

8. cj wright says:

“…so I owe them one”

Here’s a question Amanda asks in the book, “If I accept the gift, do I owe the giver?”

Comments are closed.