Working with New Moon intentions can be a very rewarding and fulfilling experience. If you’re new to the process or just need a refresher on each of the phases, you may find this short video helpful.
When we break the month down into 8 lunar phases, we’re working on one step of our goal for about 3½ days.
- We begin in the dark of the Moon, about 2 days before the New Moon. This is the quiet time when we mold our wishes and begin forming our intentions.
- We state our intentions and choose our path with the New Moon.
- At the Crescent Moon, we may struggle as we learn to trust our instincts.
- The First Quarter Moon is for adaptation and taking action.
- We study and make our last preparations at the Gibbous Moon.
- Everything is illuminated and our progress is fully visible at the Full Moon.
- At the Disseminating Moon, we share what we have accomplished.
- We reaffirm our intention and vision, with the lessons we have learned, at the Last Quarter Moon.
- The Balsamic Moon allows us to release it all and prepare for the next lunar cycle.
I like setting intentions for the New Moon. It helps me organize my month. Not down to every little detail, but in a focused, goal-oriented way.
Sometimes we state our intentions or make our wishes and, at the end of the month, are able to look back and see how successful we were.
Sometimes, we drift off after a few days. Maybe our resolve wasn’t strong enough, or maybe we just lost interest. (Were we really that interested in the first place?)
And sometimes life intervenes. Our intentions get swept away in the whirl of everyday living.
Whichever way it goes, it’s important to remember that it’s not a pass/fail situation. It’s a process. We can always start again with a new slant or stronger resolve with the next New Moon.